Energy SectorSolar | Oil | Gas
High stakes mark communication in the energy industry. Information regarding one company’s drilling, extraction, refining, shipping, and logistic activities, can be enough to affect prices in the sector instantly – causing a domino effect that can influence stock markets and national economies. The global scope of operations calls for communicating freely, regardless of borders.
Client | Energy Companies.
Skills | Security, Software, Communications.
The Problem | Resist hacking attempts.
The challenges in the energy industry are similar to those faced by companies in the financial sector. Securing communications is a must due to the nature of the shared information. So is the necessity to use devices that can resist hacking attempts. There are several extra pain points added by frequent traveling:
- Local carriers and, by extension, foreign governments can access the communications data if it’s not encrypted.
- Carriers have access to metadata about the communications: the time a message was sent, to whom it was sent, from what specific location, etc.
- Carriers can locate a person by monitoring which cell tower their device is connected to at any given moment.
- They can also push software, including malware, on the device.
- Network operators can hamper communication by cutting off a specific device’s access to the network.